Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Ralph Rucci at Home


It's been a while since I first reviewed Ralph Rucci: Autobiography of a Fashion Designer, and four years later, I still enjoy perusing it. An autobiography that is told through images of the fashion designer's home and office, the book is an intimate portrait of one man's interests and tastes, both of which reflect a life seemingly well-lived.

I thought it worthwhile to revisit the photographs of Rucci's Manhattan lair, which was decorated with the assistance of designer Susan Gutfreund. Dark and dramatic, the apartment is a jewel-box gleaming with mirror and lacquer, an elegant backdrop to the furniture, books, and, above all, objects that Rucci seems to have chosen with exactitude.  Meanwhile, Asian influences abound, which is to be expected considering Rucci named his fashion house for chado, the Japanese tea ceremony.  But perhaps what strikes me most about Rucci's home is that while it's very personal, personality was not allowed to run amok.  There is a sense of restraint that brings harmony to the home of a man who, like so many of us, has great interest in the art of the interior.








All photos from Ralph Rucci: Autobiography of a Fashion Designer; Baldomero Fernandez, photographer

5 comments:

  1. I would want to be friends with him. It's too much muchness for me to live in, but it's so interesting I'd want to visit a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another hoarder! So glad I'm not alone in hoarding books! And art! And stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:41 PM

    I'm fairly certain that the photography set ups are what makes the apartment seem so disorienting. Very difficult to put the place in perspective. That said, it reminds me very much, IN MOOD, of the Chanel apartment at 31 Rue Cambon, Paris. It is not a showplace, per se. It is very much the residence of an intellectual who spends a great deal of time reading and thinking. Also, very beautiful. I could move in tomorrow and be very happy there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:50 PM

    If this is typical of Mrs. Gutfreund's work, I'm impressed. She studied with the best.

    ReplyDelete