Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Modern Meets Traditional


Variations on a modern theme. That's how a 1940 issue of House & Garden described the Sutton Place apartment, seen here, of socialite Mrs. J. Cheever Cowdin. Decorated by Virginia Conner, who was also the decorator of Henry and Clare Boothe Luce, the apartment appears as if right out of a sophisticated late 1930's movie. Like many of that era's cinematic Manhattan apartments, Mrs. Cowdin's home is, on the whole, traditional, polished, and fitting for a lady of society.  And yet, there is nothing dowdy about this apartment, something which can be attributed to Conner's choice of high-style, glamorous, and, for that time, modern accents.

If you look at the apartment's most traditional room, the pine-paneled library (which, quite frankly, looks a little squashed by the room's low ceiling), you'll find the traditionalism relieved by beige corduroy-covered armchairs. In fact, throughout the apartment, Conner used shades of beige, white, and blue to help lend a clean, modern feel to the home. Mirror can be seen throughout the apartment, especially in the foyer, where it covered walls, and in the dining room, where it was applied to the top of the dining table. And there are even accents that remind me of Syrie Maugham, especially the foyer's palm-frond plaster table.

When I look at these photos, I can't help but think of the movie Laura, in which Gene Tierney plays the title role.  Like Mrs. Cowdin, Laura also lives in a traditional-yet-glamorous Manhattan apartment.  I'm reminded of the scene in Laura's apartment in which Dana Andrews, who plays a detective, refers to Laura as a dame.  A disgusted Waldo Lydecker, played by Clifton Webb, admonishes the detective and then asks, "Is this the home of a dame?" 

I think it's safe to say that Mrs. Cowdin's apartment, like that of Laura, was definitely not the home of a dame.


According to the magazine article, the living room was awash in blonde tones.


The glamorous dining room had soft gray-blue walls, while the dining chairs were covered in pinky-beige leather.


Mrs. Cowdin's bedroom was a symphony of blues.  The walls were painted light blue, the bed was covered in blue and white satin, and the rug was midnight blue.



The apartment's foyer certainly made quite a statement.  In addition to the mirrored walls and plaster console, the black and white rubber floor added to the space's decorative drama.



Also located in the foyer was this butterfly clock.  A variation on a modern theme, perhaps?



10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Your reference to Gene Tierney reminded me that I live just a stones throw from the house she lived in while in Topeka, Kansas, receiving treatment at the Menninger Clinic. The house is a delightful red brick Colonial, very traditional and polished. I've often wondered how she decorated it when she lived there and I envision it, "traditional-yet-glamorous".
    Many stars and other famous people of the moment have passed through Topeka and the Menninger Clinic. Gene Tierney was one that lived somewhat openly in the community.
    Thank you for the step back in history. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, Gene Tierney was one of my favorite actresses. She was so beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1:19 PM

    It does, indeed, all look very glamorous - apart from the use of pine. It seems quite unfair to inflict a wood that brings to mind cheap furniture on a client who wants something exuding sophistication. While the living room may look nice enough in a black and white picture, it would have looked rather tacky in colour, which is rather disappointing given how fab the rest of the flat looks. One get away with a lot in the name of modernism, I suppose, but it is the client who has to live with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo of the pine-paneled room is one of my least favorite of the bunch.

      Delete
  3. The butterfly clock- a reference to time flying, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:04 AM

    A disgusted Waldo Lydecker, played by Clifton Webb, admonishes the detective and then asks, "Is this the home of a dame?"

    True, but Laura falls for the detective, not for Waldo. I think the detective "got" Laura in a way Webb never did. Maybe he saw the dame beneath the decorum?

    (Hey Jennifer! Nick told me he saw you at your book signing. WIsh I'd been there with you two.)
    --Perry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perry, I must admit that I thought the pairing of Laura and the detective unlikely. But then again, Laura would never have ended up with Waldo, either.

      I wish you could have joined us at my book signing! It would have been fun to catch up in person.

      Delete
  5. Interesting,as always...The 'Club Chair' in all of it's mutations hasn't changed very much......more information on a 'rubber' floor,please

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to post this here, but I have tried numerous help links (blogger, feedburner, google) to no avail; Since August 2, I have not gotten this blog, even though when I try to re-subscribe it says I'm already subscribed! I've looked in every email folder, and nada. It just doesn't come to me any more. Can anybody help? Point me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, It sounds like some kind of technical glitch. Will you email me at Jennifer@thepeakofchic.com and provide me with your email address? I'll try to figure out a solution to the problem. Thank you!
      Jennifer

      Delete