Monday, February 09, 2015

A Request for Information


I hope that one (or some) of you might be able to help me.  I am researching the Van Day Truex drawing that is shown above.  The drawing depicts what appear to be two stone bull heads perched atop a vine-covered wall.  Between the bulls is a uniformed man, who might be a gardener or perhaps an attendant of some sort.  This uniformed figure might indicate that the scene was painted in a public place.  Behind the bulls is a dense, darkly painted Cypress tree. 

Truex spent time in France, Italy, and Mexico, so it is possible that this scene is located in one of these countries.  Can any of you identify the location of this scene?  If so, please email me at Jennifer@thepeakofchic.com

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:44 PM

    Jennifer, I can't identify the location so I won't trouble you by email. But I'm taken by the eerie likeness of the gent between the bulls, namely to that of Mr. Truex himself. Look at the gentleman's profile [thanking my Apple "mighty mouse" for taking me up close to his facial features], do you see it too? Is there anything to make of the fact that bullfighting is part of the French [south], Italian and Mexican cultures where you said Mr. T spent time? If the depicted pictorial information is allegorical, there are many interpretive ways to go, but that's likely why you're looking first to authenticate the location. The ownership of the picture apparently transferred from Mr. Hadley to Mr. Lewis [then reframed]. Is Mr. Lewis living? Might he be available via phone/email to read what's written, perhaps, on the reverse of the picture?

    -Flo, Amelia Island FL

    ReplyDelete