Friday, January 18, 2013

Damask Impressions



Damask was always lurking somewhere on my fabric radar, although truthfully it didn't hold a very prominent place.  It's not that I don't find damask to be attractive.  I do.  I suppose that I have always thought it seemed more appropriate for homes that were exceedingly traditional or European in feel.  Damask just didn't seem to fit my city apartment, one that is a mix of antiques and modern-looking fabrics.

But, my opinion completely changed when I saw the recent World of Interiors article on KK Auchincloss' Paris apartment.  How many of you thought you had died and gone to heaven when you saw those photos?  Not a week goes by that I don't look at that article, dreaming about how well I could live in such a home.  Anyway, it's Auchincloss' damask covered walls that got me thinking about how damask doesn't have to look so traditional.  What makes this particular damask so fresh looking, to me anyway, is its unusual color.  It's a slightly weird yellowish-green, a shade that is a little off-kilter when compared to the more common shades of pale or golden yellow, vivid red, or pale blue.

Although damask covered walls would look completely out of place in my apartment, I am thinking of adding just a touch of it somewhere.  I am inspired by the 1960s-era photo below which shows a dark blue velvet sofa with pale blue damask pillows.  My sofa is covered in teal velvet, so perhaps damask throw pillows, especially in a shade similar to Auchincloss' walls, might look nice, a way to bridge the gap between a modern sofa and the antique furniture that stands close by. 

Who knows?  This dash of damask just might be the precursor to bigger and better things, maybe even a big girl apartment in Paris.

A 1960s-era living room with velvet sofa and damask pillows.


A damask covered bed in a home decorated by Alidad. (House & Garden, Simon Upton photographer.)


A silk damask Regency-style sofa in the drawing room of Chateau de Fleury. (Elle Decor, Miguel Flores-Vianna, photographer.)


A very pretty blue damask in the home of the late designer, Duarte Pinto Coehlo. (Manolo Yllera, photographer.)


Just a touch of damask on this small chair in the home of Fernanda Kellogg and Kirk Henckels, decorated by the talented Brockschmidt & Coleman. (Architectural Digest, Roger Davies, photographer.)


A profusion of red damask in the home of Carolina Herrera. (Residence magazine, photographer not attributed.)


Image at top: Photo of the Paris apartment of KK Auchincloss, World of Interiors, November 2012, Fritz von der Schulenburg photographer.

24 comments:

  1. I have a piece of silk damask, the pattern repeat on which is as tall as I am. When you have time we should trawl our way through my boxes of 40-50 year-old memos. The bed by Alidad is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue, I would enjoy that greatly! I'll bring the drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria9:25 AM

    I have a sort of striped velvet sofa (not quite gaufraged and definitely not corduroy) and damask cushions trimmed with cut linen fringe - looks great. Take the plunge, you won't regret it. Definitely grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, that sounds like a beautiful sofa! I think that I'm going to take the plunge. I need to head to the design center to start looking at damasks...

      Delete
  4. J'adore damas! Time for luxury fabrics to make a comeback. A room smothered in anything can be overwhelming, but even a Minimalist space can take a damask or silk velvet covered chair, standing almost as an art feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's high-time for these classic fabrics to make a comeback. They never go out of style.

      Delete
  5. I love damask on the walls + use it as to cover sofa, chair,walls almost anything can come alive with damask! So happy it is making a comeback. Love the bed by Alidad. Have a wonderful weekend. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been on the hunt for some time now for canary yellow silk damask. Any leads for me to follow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, Scalamandre has some great damasks, but per Dean Farris' comment below, you might want to also check out Tassinari and Chatel. I'm going to see if they're repped at a showroom in Atlanta. Sounds intriguing!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous12:02 PM

    I look at KK Auchincloss' apartment every week (well, maybe every two weeks...) too!
    Because it would be a bit too feminine for me, although I wouldn't care at all, I dream of it and take inspiration for my parents' apartment in Sicily. By the way, my mother has already over-the-top deep pink silk damask curtains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you also love KK Auchincloss' apartment! Your mother's pink silk damask curtains sound divine. Wow! The idea of an apartment in Sicily sounds divine as well! :)

      Delete
  8. I love damask! I've used a damask stencil on my dining room and bedroom walls...I love how it turned out.

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MWZ4RLZhnFM/UMUTiO_h59I/AAAAAAAAA40/lvVLMofhUFo/s1600/dresser+December+2012.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, I love how it turned out, too. Great job! Aren't you talented!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jennifer,

    I enjoyed this post, as I have always liked damask, and velvet stamped with damask patterns. I suggest a rosy pink damask for your teal sofa (pillows)with a beautiful mini- tassel silk fringe in teals and roses and creams. Delightful!
    Scalamandre' has very nice ones and Tassinari and Chatel, Paris. Enjoy!

    Dean Farris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, per your suggestion, I'm now rethinking my pillows. I love your idea. Sounds decadent but pretty. I wonder if Tassinari and Chatel is available at ADAC?

      Delete
    2. Hi! Check out Lelievre, Paris

      Delete
  10. There is nothing better than red Scalamandre silk damask.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, now that sounds beautiful. I'm going to take a look when I visit their showroom next week!

      Delete
  11. While we are on the subject, any ideas of good damask sources? I am looking for a traditional damask in vibrant yellow and in black. The black was inspired by this image from "Finishing Touches" by Elizabeth Hilliard. Seems that black is the hardest color to find in damask, followed by a damask in a rich vibrant, clear yellow...

    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d2c5fa56a4&view=att&th=13c54802148f5d05&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I have found that italian firm Bevilacqua offers a good range of patterns and colours:
    http://www.luigi-bevilacqua.com/eng/damaschi.php

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love KK's apt. too,and particularly love the green walls.......here's the thing about that apt. it looks like someone lives in it, loves it did it to suit themselves, it's the real deal!
    I have a pair of gilded chairs in my hall covered in orange damask sitting against green walls, the orange adds a little jolt and the damask a bit of glam in our dog filled house.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love the luxurious velvet look, a classic style that's making a long awaited comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No Damask entry in your book - maybe it had gone to press before this post. I am looking for green damask wallpaper for my entry hall. Waverly has one but no where near as vivid as the KK room above.

    ReplyDelete