Tuesday, January 03, 2012

My Reading Resolution




I have quite a few New Year's resolutions, although to save myself potential embarrassment should I not achieve them, I'll just keep them to myself. However, there were two resolutions that were a bit less lofty than the rest: to carve more time out of my schedule to read, and to entertain more frequently than I did last year.

I read on a daily basis, and yet it seems that there's still not enough time to get through all of the books that I'd like to read. It would be nice to be able to take two or three days a week and devote them entirely to reading. But, who's got time for that? In the interest of keeping myself focused on the books in which I'm really interested, I've made a list of titles that I hope to read this year. Some of the books might seem a little low-brow, and that's fine by me. I'm perfectly aware that if you wallow with the pigs, you should expect to get dirty. But really, isn't it better than most of the reality shows on TV?

Tomorrow, I'll post my entertaining resolutions.



West End Front by Matthew Sweet. I first read about this book on Beverley Jackson's blog. Sweet's book examines life in London's grand hotels during World War II. Evidently, there was all kinds of intrigue and scandal involving socialites, swells, and ne'er do wells. My copy just arrived in the mail, and I can't wait to read all about it.



Madame de Pompadour by Nancy Mitford. I enjoyed reading Mitford's The Sun King a few months ago, so I'm hoping that I'll feel the same about this book.





Constance Spry Cookery Book. An updated version of Spry and Hume's classic cookbook, first published in 1956.




Down the Garden Path by Beverley Nichols. I've never read any of his books, and I think this title- one of his most famous- is a good start.




Gilded Lily: Lily Safra: The Making of One of the World's Wealthiest Widows by Isabel Vincent. No, I don't plan to read this in hopes that someday I'll follow in Safra's footsteps. I'm just curious. Really.




Life in the French Country House and Life in the English Country House by Mark Girouard. I love books on general history, social history, and architectural history, and these two books combine all three.




Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Horror of horrors. Considering the fact that I'm a native Atlantan who has seen the movie close to thirty times, it's sacrilegious that I've never actually read the book. Shhh, don't tell.

30 comments:

  1. I have never read Gone with the wind and as you, seen the movies so many times... I am very intrigued by The west Front and am on my way to Amazon. I also get very frustrated by the lack of time allocated to reading, one of my greatest pleasure. My routine is to read on the train during my daily commute to New York (used to drive), and during my ritual evening bath. Winter week ends are spent reading by the fire when i have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself saying, "ooh, I want that one, no that is better, wait I'll read that!" Your list looks much like mine would if I had more regular reading time. 2 year-old's rarely offer their mothers enough quiet reading time and mine is no exception.
    Maybe I'll squeeze one from your list in this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dahhling I absolutely love both or your resoltions of reading & entertaining more...I think they both will nourish you infinitely better than anything you might find on the television!
    FAB choices but particulary the "Life in the French/English country house"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madame de Pompadour is a fascinating woman, I enjoy biographies about her, good read for sure. And I preferred the book of Gone with the Wind to the movie even, so enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of those books look very intriguing to me. I may have to add them to my list. The only one I have read on your list is Gone with the Wind -- I still have my well used 1970's paperback copy that I have read 5 times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those exact two resolutions are on my list as well!! Some great picks here! I'm going to have a hard time just getting through the books I received for Christmas! Happy New Year by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like there are quite a few of us who wish that we had more time to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have neither read the book nor have I seen Gone With The Wind - I cannot bring myself to be interested in either. I find it hard to say why but .....

    Your other choices are very interesting. Beverly Nichols I read in Dutch translation years ago so perhaps it is time to have another look. Nancy Mitford's Madame de Pompadour was pretty good as I remember (I read it when it was first published) and Giroud's Life in the English Country House is excellent. I have not read the French,Country House book but intend to.

    Apropos life in a country house, I'm reading The Final Curtsey by Margaret Rhodes, the Qeen's cousin AND Franco Mormando's Bernini: His Life and His Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good resolutions.

    Mitford on Pompadour is de rigueur; chatty and gossipy but entirely accurate, if completely biased in favor of the mistress.

    Life in the... books are very well done, and well illustrated. Scholarly yet eminently readable.

    GWTW, what can one say but, for shame. Long and peopled with many more characters than the movie, yet fascinating and curiously, when one re-reads it, it flies by....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blue, sounds like I need to appoint you as my resident book advisor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those of you who have already read these books, thanks for the feedback.

    Quatorze, you need to advise me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always a joy to read more! Enjoy these - some really interesting picks here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will love Mark Girouard's books, a Must Read for everyone interested in the history of the decorative arts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Advice From Pittypat's Porch10:50 AM

    You have to convince Blue to see the film GWTW, a requirement of Atlanta residency. Being foreign born is all the more reason to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pittypat, I agree. I'll invite him to my place and then we can watch the DVD. He just might be surprised by it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Classicist, sounds like I need to move those two books to the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've read Madame de Pompadour--it is fantastic!! And Life in the English Country House is also a good read.
    I love your list--I talking pointers. Happy New Year!!!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're doing alright on your own. For pure amusement, which will put you in the company of Nancy Mitford and Noel Coward, try this bon-bon, a compendium of the Mapp & Lucia stories of E.F. Benson, entitled, "Make Way for Lucia"

    See it here: http://www.amazon.com/Make-Way-Lucia-Complete/dp/B002KIX430/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325606950&sr=8-2

    Get it for less here: http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=MinFEn4bzeXpZ5G1RVmiMH,3UMc_3890733557_1:10:75&bq=author%3De.%2520f.%2520benson%26title%3Dmake%2520way%2520for%2520lucia

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a grand list. I too have never read GWTW but have seen the movie lots of times.(My Grandmother went to the Atlanta Premier.) Happy New Year from S. CA. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great resolution...it is so hard to find time to read! I have a few of these books and have barely skimmed them! The Life in French Country home has been more of a coffee table book here....maybe I will start with that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Quatorze- Sounds wonderful! I will be sure to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hugo Vickers Bio of Cecil Beaton is a must read. Of Beverley Nichols, Merry Hall is my favorite. Do NOT read his biography - he was a tad rough in his "personal" life, which is off putting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous1:14 PM

    I treasure my mom's first edition copy of GWTW, which I first read in 2 days when in 8th grade. Typically, i read non-fiction but GWTW holds an honored space in my bookcase.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous2:42 PM

    I love Beverly Nichols and my favorite in Merry Hall. It is the perfect winter read.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It seems that perhaps I should read Merry Hall before I read Down the Garden Path!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks like a great list - would love a quick review as you finish. (I read GWTW an embarrassing number of times in jr. high. Really.)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm now getting anxious to read all of these books!

    Mrs. B, that's high praise for GWTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. All so fun...I have read the Mitford books and Beverly Nichols...and I have a nice stack awaiting me..
    .Jennifer! I just Finished Catherine The Great by Massie...I highly recommend it -engaging, not dry at all, and I now know why it was called a supreme achievement, one of the best books of the year in any category. If you can fit another one in, that is a treat! XXOO to you, warm wishes for a wonderful 2012, love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Philip, I'm so anxious to read that book. My mother is currently in the midst of it, and I hope to get her copy of it when she's through! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous11:45 PM

    Another garden book to read, and it's a VERY light read, is "The Joy of the Small Garden," by a woman who's name escapes me at the moment. Gillespie, I think. I get happy and relaxed every time I reread it.

    ReplyDelete