Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Colorful Surprise







I can't tell you how many times I've been fooled by that old black (and white) magic. I'll see a black and white photo of an interior from, say, the 1940s or 50s, and often I'm captivated by the room's perceived atmosphere. The photo usually makes the space seem so dramatic. But then, I might later come across a color photo of the same room and, whoa, everything comes to a screeching halt. Who knew that the room was painted in such a garish color? Or, as is often the case, the room looks dull as dishwater. What happened? I guess it must have been the lighting and those moody black and white shadows.

But sometimes, the opposite happens. While looking through old Connaissance des Arts- you remember, the annotated ones once owned by the Bevery Hills doctor?- I came across photos of a Paris apartment owned by Madame de P. Yes, that was how the magazine protected the homeowner's anonymity; it made her sound so mysterious. Anyway, the black and white images, above, are nice but a little ho-hum. But wait, look at the color versions below. Lacquered bottle green walls? A kelly green sofa in front of a emerald green niche hung with a multitude of plates, not to a mention another green niche in the corner with yet more plates??? Wow. I'm pea green with envy. I guess the grass really is greener on the color side.









8 comments:

  1. Pea green is so wonderful ....reminds me of that old poem of the owl and the pussycat.....and their pea green boat.......Lovely pics, thank you....xv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I blame color as the reason for the floor standing vase of gladioli right in the middle of the shot, it is a shame when those rich schemes were not captured in their full glory of color. And I do love that chic canapé with the plump feather-filled seat cushions and tasseled festoon apron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plates are far too small; the effect is like chickenpox, alas. And they're all different, so it reminds me (yet again, alas) of souvenir spoons. And when I see wildly colorful rooms like these, I really want to see them at twilight or in the evening, with candles and low lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WMTwigs9:48 AM

    Wow! More pictures that I do not remember ever seeing!
    Love them (even the wall of "spotty" plates)!
    I once had dark green lacquer walls --- when living in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lacquered walls are stunning--not to mention the rug. The plates, I could leave out, but not the niches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who adores lacquer? My hand just shot up.I do. love this post.xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, me too! I'll join the lacquer bandwagon. And (with trepidation), I have to also say that I am not digging the plates--they look a tad too band buttons on a jean jacket in their placement.

    I'm the only one to admit to loving the fur blanket. Bad, I know but I can't help it. With the green sofa, it makes me think of emeralds...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Provence- I LOVE that fur blanket too. It looks so luxurious!

    ReplyDelete