Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sipping and Seeing




It's 8am, I've only gotten five hours of sleep due to a delayed flight last night, and I'm trying to get my motor revving with some extra strength coffee. Needless to say, the thought of cocktails and bars does not necessarily sound very appealing right now. That said, I have had this particular bar- and home- on my mind as of late.

The English Regency house, located in Atlanta and designed in 1936 by Philip Shutze, is rather unusual thanks to that modern, streamlined penthouse, something that would have been in vogue at that time. Actually, I would say that it's still in vogue today. Shutze designed the penthouse in response to the clients' desire for an observation area, obliging them with corner walls filled with windows and roof terraces. But for me it's what's on the inside that excites me...the curving bar that looks as though it's on a ship's helm. There's a Serge Roche feel to the space what with that plaster detail on the ceiling, those shelf supports, and the ornamentation on the bar itself. And the railing around the bar area and the staircase completes the chic look.

The clients were actually a newly married husband and wife who were of the ripe old age of...22 years old! This had to have been pretty heady stuff for such a young couple. But perhaps it was their youth, their enthusiasm, and their desire for something au courant that inspired Shutze to design a home that was a bit edgy for the time. I don't know about you, but I'd give my right arm to have a bar like this in my home. Actually, I'd give my left since I need my right one to mix a proper cocktail.






(All images from American Classicist: The Architecture of Philip Trammell Shutze)

15 comments:

  1. OMG, that is the Chicest thing I have ever seen!
    I love the combination of leaves in the garlands around bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love. Absolutely in love. Who knew it would be a streamlined penthouse bar atop a vogue regency house? oh, wait....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too adore this whimsical room and yet, and yet, there are slight overtones of Baroque church (the pulpit) and babtist chapel (the portable organ) about it which try as I might, I can't ignore. Love the balustrades, if that's what they are called, and the exquisite yellow chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree-- that house does feel in vogue today! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Always interested in clients who are a bit more daring. That is what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting...I am not familiar with this house. Is it the back of the house seen in this picture? Would love to know where it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would call this house an amazing wedding present! I love the plaster work (?) carving (?) details and the Wedgwood green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! So sophisticated and so southern! It reminds me of (grander version) of older homes in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the room and the color used, but then, I've had green on the brain for a while now.

    This room strikes me as very Dorothy Draper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Voice Talk, I thought the same thing! So Dorothy Draper! and wonderful. Make mine a mojito, please. Such a fresh, minty room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmm, interesting Church Lady West belongs to---the bar as pulpit...pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so hollywood
    Very sharp..
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful. It looks edible!

    ReplyDelete