Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Giving Thanks for a Beautiful Table




How does Jonathan Preece do it? In addition to being an interior designer and stylist with Bunny Williams Inc. and serving as Creative Director of BeeLine Home, Jonathan also creates stunning holiday tables for a coterie of clients and friends. Obviously, Jonathan's creativity- and energy- knows no bounds. Need proof? Just look at a Thanksgiving table that Jonathan designed for a client. While most holiday tables are as dry as a Butterball turkey (mine included), Jonathan's is a delectable feast.

The setting was a Federal house in Westport, CT that had been decorated by Bunny Williams. The client often hosted Thanksgiving dinners for 30 to 45 guests, all of whom were seated at tables in the main Dining Room and the Hall. When Jonathan was brought in to assist with the Thanksgiving arrangements, he suggested creating an enfilade effect by having a table in the Dining Room and two 72" round tables in both the Hall and the Breakfast Room.

Because the client loves drama, Jonathan came up with a scheme loaded with "Wow". One of the first things you probably noticed in the photo above is the male turkey taxidermy. (I've always thought turkeys were actually beautiful birds, and if this shot doesn't prove it, I don't know what does!) Also woven into the mix were branches of pear, maple, and magnolia intertwined with pyracantha vines. Jonathan also nestled purple variegated decorative cabbage plants into the mix.




Blanc de chine cockerels were perched alongside pumpkin tureens that did double duty as cachepots. Mercury glass votives, compotes, spheres, and toad stools added a little shimmer to the table. Mother Nature was present in the form of seasonal fruits and vegetables like brussel sprouts on the stalk, shitake mushrooms, pomegranates, and grapes.



Jonathan's client asked him to include place cards and gifts for the guests. Keeping with the theme of the table, the male guests received turkey callers, while the females got silver old fashioned hand warmers. And the kids? Mini Coleman lantern key chains. The place cards were actually plaster leaves with painted relief. The china was Wedgwood and the etched wine glasses were Christofle.


Over-scaled branch arrangements flanked the Breakfast Room Entry and added color and height to the main Dining Room. Albino pumpkins and decorative cabbage were clustered around a 19th c. garden urn. Love the drama of the uplight. And if you look carefully, you'll notice little bird houses made of bark and moss that hung on the branches.

So...after seeing these photos, I'm completely rethinking my Thanksgiving table. (Anyone know where to get albino pumpkins here in Atlanta?) If you think this is good, just wait until I show you Jonathan's Christmas table!

23 comments:

  1. Clint Smith9:09 AM

    that's the most beautiful thanksgiving table i've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Tackett9:27 AM

    What a great pleasure seeing this project for which I provided the architectural services! Featured in "House Beautiful" magazine and several books, it was done prior to Miles joining Bunny's office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. geesh - just a few miles from my home, and I was not invited.

    harrumph.

    (gorgeous tablescape)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judging from the contemporary Dining Room chandelier and the deep Living Room pelmets, I am going to say that former assistant Llewellyn Sinkler contributed to the furnishing. My work involved Bunny and the homeowners, so I do not remember for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sophie dahy designs10:01 AM

    Those images are absolutely breathtaking! I can't wait to see what he does for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feeling a slight loss of self-esteem....but inspired. I think that I'm going to start polishing silver. thanks for the jolt of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just when I thought I was ready for Thursday's luncheon, this post makes me realize that I must go back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that when it comes down to it, I must be a bit lazy about setting the table. I'm usually so worn out after polishing the silver that I just can't think about anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer, if you can't find the albino pumpkins at Whole Foods, take some regular ones out to the yard and spray paint them with cream colored spray paint. They won't last forever, but will do the trick for your table setting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, the precedent has certainly been set! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! Such bountiful fabulousness! Or Fabulous bounty....whichever way you say it it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely toooooooooooo gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Albino pumpkins at whole foods buckhead! Mine from Halloween still look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Thanksgiving Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful Table !!! Very insipring . Happy thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fabulously extravagant!! I need to rethink my Thanksgiving table really fast.... wished Jonathan could just stop by and spruce up my showroom Christmas windows....cannot wait to see his Christmas table...

    ReplyDelete
  17. the table setup looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun to see such an over-the-top setting. Beautiful and bountiful, but I take exception to the dead bird. I think turkeys are beautiful, but it's just unappetizing (to me) to have taxidermy at the table. Big eeww for that one, but otherwise very chic - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I enjoy reading your blog and know that you are also keen on garden follies (one of the best I have ever visited was the atmospheric Swiss Cottage in Cahir, Ireland- you also did a post on it) as well as tents. You are welcome to look at my posting on a miniature beach vignette I made with a tent at http://lizelund.blogspot.com/2009/11/memories-of-summer.html
    (For mass appeal it has somewhat been 'sweetened though!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. He put my Thanksgiving table to shame. I may even take my table photos off my blog and just replace them with a link to this post! lol. Thanks for sharing. Reading was a pleasure as always.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Totally divine in every way.......except the stuffed turkey.

    The porcelain ones are a better choice!

    Just my opinion.........it is a glorious and divinely beautiful entire creation! I especially love the moss and bark mini birdhouses......YIKES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That tablescape is absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete