Monday, June 29, 2009

If Only American History Class Had Focused on This

When I started my blog almost three years ago, I intended to write a great deal about design history. One reason was because I've long had an interest in it, but I also have always found inspiration in these rooms of the past. If you study the details, sometimes you might just get a few ideas for your own home. I was recently studying the American period rooms in the American Wing at the Met (all online if you'd like to take a look), and I was struck by how modern many of the colors and furnishings are. Actually, perhaps I shouldn't say it's modern because the rooms' details are historically accurate. Rather, they still seem to appeal to these modern eyes.


The Hewlett Room, c. 1740-60, Woodbury, Long Island. What immediately strikes me is the intense, gorgeous blue walls. It looks a lot like the blues being used by designers today. The blue paint color plus the orangey, coral shade of the china cabinet reminds me of that Kendall Wilkinson showhouse room from a few years back (see below). The other detail that I might keep in mind for future use? The nailshead trim on the baby's crib. Wouldn't that scroll design look great on a screen?


Kendall Wilkinson's showhouse room is somewhat similar in color scheme to that of the Hewlett Room.


The Alexandria Ballroom, 1793, Alexandria, Virginia. Again, it's all about that beautiful blue. Still so chic today, and doesn't it look like a color that Steven Gambrel would use?


A bright blue Greenwich living room by Steven Gambrel.


The Haverhill Room, c. 1805, Haverhill, Massachusetts. On first glance, it would be easy to dismiss this room as too old, too early American, and too fancy. But look closely. The trim on the bed curtains would look fantastic on curtains or pillows.




Samuel & Sons "Macadamia" trim looks similar


Samuel Hart Room, c. 1680, Ipswich, Massachusetts. To some, the focal point of this room might be the oak timbers. To me, it's the bed. (Interesting to see the somewhat diminutive scale of this bed; people were smaller back then.) I would use more feminine fabric and trim, but the lines of the bed curtains are still appropriate for today.


David Hicks designed a similar bed centuries later, though obviously the fabrics and the proportions were far different.

(Images of period rooms courtesy of the Met's website; Wilkinson room from her website; Gambrel room via his website; Hicks room from David Hicks: Designer)

18 comments:

  1. I love the vivid colors of the 18th century! It was so exciting when historians began to discover how bold and clear the colors had actually been, and many of the historic sites returned to historically accurate shades like dramatic apple green. Love your comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does it say about our national character that we now are so beige? Love the colorful history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - a beautiful post. There is a historical room at the Nelson that is the most fantastic shade of blue. The colors are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:59 AM

    The nail head trim on that crib is just so unbelievably cool. Those are ALL beautiful rooms. The bold color schemes are really striking too. FYI, Sherwin Williams has a paint line based on George Washington's house at Mount Vernon (did I get that right?) with really the most beautiful colors and all historically accurate. The high ceilings and beautiful trim in these rooms really adds so much. Sad to think over the years how much people started cutting corners while building houses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney- I agree. For so many years we thought that color from that era was a little more subtle than it actually was. What a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home- Well, each to his own, but I never understood the fascination with beige. But I'm more of a color person myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia- They really were so adept at acheiving such gorgeous shades of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon- Isn't that nails head trim fantastic??!! I have a Sherwin Williams store down the street from me; I should go check out that collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who wouldn't be inspired by these rooms? I love history too, and second the study of them. Good SW Mount Vernon colors are available and Charleston colors too.Honest-don't know how many times I have pulled out that S & S trim. I adore it. It is funny too- these rooms always look timeless and serene to me- wonder who decorated?-Why so few mistakes? Perhaps they had less to choose from and purchased things tolast a lifetime. Wonderful post. la

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors, the blues and reds. Paint was so expensive in the 18th c. and these fantastic colors even more so. These rooms are so modern, not just in their colors, but also in their minimalism and sculptural quality of the furnishings. Once again, thanks for making the connections for me.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so right...all the rooms do feel so comtemporary. Love all the colors. I love "looking" at all-white rooms, but love color and couldn't live without it. What I wouldn't give to have a photo of the interiors of my house when it was first built...
    A very fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer-A lovely post and so true about the historic colors. I live in Alexandria minutes from Mount Vernon and it was so wonderful when they figured out that those awful grayed, muddy, yellowed colors we thought they used were just very aged. The Historic Colors of Mount Vernon Collection of paints mentioned above is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the comparisons. Thanks for sharing. The Hewlett room is gorgeous. It could easily be a room recently decorated. So interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It wouldn't surprise me if I saw that 2nd pic on the cover of Elle Decor! It's so FRESH - If I were to see it in a magazine now I'd say modern-traditional. Funny how everything old is new again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer, Went to a wonderful lecture last year when Anthony Baratta of Diamond and Baratta spoke about how much they have been influenced by the American rooms - particularly the bold colors. Great post! EEE

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sincerely enjoyed this post - the best of old and new, and I learned something too. American color history is fascinating. Mount Vernon, particularly the dining room is a stunner. I'm always so curious how they came up with the colors, and since I love to tour historic houses, I never hesitate to ask - yellow comes from onion skins, for instance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very informative post. I am amazed by the concentration of color that was used. The nailhead trim on the crib is incredible. I love history; particularly when it applies to architecture & design. The Steven Gambrel blue room is one of my all favorites. Thanks for the history lesson today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very interesting post. We can say that design go back and forth . Antiques and history are a large source of inspiration. I'm always and still impressed by the vivid colors of XVIII th century in France ( but also in the USA ) , in Versailles , the colors we can see now in the rooms that haven't been restired yet are pastel but because the colors are faded.
    Your post inspired me to write a post abour the original vivid colors on XVIII th reedition silk and toile de jouy .

    ReplyDelete