Monday, March 23, 2009

Rethinking Quilts




I think it's safe to say that most of us have an appreciation for quilts whether we incorporate them into our decor or not. The skill, craftsmanship, and time that is involved in quilting is rather remarkable- at least to me. And nothing feels better than getting under a cool, cotton quilt during the summertime.

I grew up with quilts that were made by various great aunts, and my parents once gave me a beautiful antique quilt as a birthday present. And while I admire them greatly and do use them from time to time, the quilts remain stored away in the linen closet. I just can't imagine displaying them in my home as they don't quite "go" with the rest of the decor. The quilts are just a little too Americana for my home.

But what about a modern looking quilt? When I saw the photo at top of Albert Hadley's apartment from the 1960s, I was pleasantly surprised with the American quilt that was artfully arranged on the sofa. Here you have a room with silver tea-papered walls, torchères and sconces that once belonged to Syrie Maugham, an animal-print rug, a mirrored cube table... and that quilt on the sofa. And it worked. Mixing the high and the low, the sophisticated with the humble, is not always an easy endeavor, but in the hands of Mr. Hadley, it looked marvelous.

I pulled the one book that I own on quilts,
America's Glorious Quilts, and found some contemporary looking antique quilts in all kinds of beautiful colors and designs. The one thing these particular quilts lack is that patchwork look. Those kind of quilts would work well in a Sister Parish type interior. The more graphic looking quilts (like that used by Hadley) could look pretty fantastic in a more modern looking environment.


Diamond in a Square Amish Pieced Quilt, c. 1920. Lancaster, Pennsylvania.


Log Cabin Pierced Quilt, Streak O'Lightning Variation, c. 1880. Massachusetts. (This quilt reminded me of Missoni.)


Mariner's Compass Pieced and Appliqued Quilt, c. 1890. Maryland.


Amish Pieced Oblong or Rectangle Quilt, c. 1909, quilted by Mahala Yoder. Indiana. This quilt looks so simple, yet if you look closely at the quilting you'll see tulips, urns, feathers, and birds.


Solomon's Puzzle Amish Pieced Quilt, c. 1940. Ohio. This particular pattern is known as Drunkard's Path- and so appropriate. Can't you see this quilt used as a coverlet on a bed? Or even displayed on a wall as art??


Na Kalaunu (Crowns) Applique Quilt. Before 1918; Hawaiian Islands. I love the naïve motifs on this Hawaiian quilt, and the color combination of lavender and yellow is gorgeous.

(Image of Albert Hadley's apartment from Manhattan Style; quilt photos from America's Glorious Quilts)

16 comments:

  1. I have such a weakness for craft. My grandmother made each of us a quilt when we were born. My is well loved and poorly cared for, but I treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful - and nobody can do graphic quilts like the Amish!

    I invite you to peruse a few of my quilts at http://manmadequilts.com to see quilts that work very well in contemporary environs. These aren't your grandma's quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are exquisite, thank you for rethinking- I love quilts- these really look fresh and new.G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Amish Pieced Oblong and the "puzzle."

    BTW, kudos on the big HB story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just having a conversation about quilting this morning with a new friend. Having relocated to the Midwest I am among quiltters , many Amish and it is a wonderful world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quilts and agree, they can be great in a contemporary setting, or cozy in an old fashioned Sister Parish designed room. Are you aware of Densise Schmidt designs? She does an excellent job taking old patterns and creating quilts to fit into modern rooms.I used one in the bedroom of a friend -see my post "My Friend, Alice" - and it is fun and fresh looking! Great post - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are stunning. I never thought about quilts as art until I stumbled onto some of Matisse's designs at the National Gallery (DC). They have several fabric wall hangings, as well as liturgical clothes. These have a very similar effect - really beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these quilts are so beautiful!

    I thought I would share my favorite source for Hand Woven chenille (*still not like grandma chenille) - really luxurious throws, so soft and cozy. They can match any color you need.

    http://www.dintimandesign.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I met the quilters who are the subject of The Quilts of Gees Bend. I had never paid much attention to quilts before, but these remarkable women from the South opened my eyes to the graphic appeal of these treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quilt in the photo...the graphic black and white is wonderful! I have a cousin who is a professional quilt artist in Hawaii who has a very contemporary bent. She even has a blog: quiltantics.blogspot.com for those intersted in quilting.

    I love the examples you have shown here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You selected beautiful quilts to show. They seem to always evoke loving memories. The Gees Bend quilts are also beautiful. You might enjoy the book AMISH - The Art of the Quilt. It shows quilts that were collected for display by the Espirit company in the 1970"s.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lee- I will def. check out the Amish book. In the book that I consulted, it was the Amish quilts that I was most drawn to. They have a very contemporary feel to them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. loving the rectangle quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing how timeless both the designs and color palettes have proven to be. Makes me look around and wonder about comparable contemporary craft....what being created now will endure in the same way?

    One of my most treasured possessions is a quilt made by my great-grandmother from miscellaneous fabric remnants...the only problem is, I'm too afraid to use it! Thanks for reminding me how much I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the amish quilts , they look so modern . The one from 1909 is so exquisite

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finding a quilt in Albert Hadley's apartment should come as no surprise. His famous partner, Sister Parish, used quilts frequently in her designs. They were sort of her trademark. I think her belief was that they took the "seriousness" out of a room--gave the room the human element. I love quilts as upholstery too.

    ReplyDelete