Friday, October 10, 2008

Domino: The Book of Decorating




So my posting has been a bit spotty this week because quite honestly, I've been really distracted. Distracted by the great Fall book releases that is.

I spent last night reading the Domino: The Book of Decorating (by Deborah Needleman, Sara Ruffin Costello, and Dara Caponigro), and this book really could not have arrived on my doorstep at a better time. The book is chock full of practical decorating advice on color schemes, furniture, mixing and matching elements in a room, and much more. And let's face it- many times it's the practical advice that we really need. There is nothing more fun than finding design inspiration, but sometimes we just need some guidance with the actual execution part, and this book certainly helps with that.

While many of the photos in the book will be familiar to you Domino readers, there are some that seemed new to me. And while we all know that it's the details that make a room, the same can be said for books too. One great thing about the book is that there is no dust jacket, meaning you can throw the book in your bag and carry it around to the design center, the paint store, and the hardware store. I'm also crazy for the colorful interior illustrations that appear at the beginning of each chapter. It's really a nice touch.

I'm hesitant to give too much away, but let me just say that I think you're in for a real treat. Domino: The Book of Decorating is going to be a great addition to your design library.






15 comments:

  1. I think a lot of us are happy to have a collection of our favorite Domino images in one volume, along with the editors' trademark down-to-earth advice. Plus it is one of the more affordable books being offered this fall! Perfect for holiday giving.

    (And I really mean all that -- it just came out sounding like a press release :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might just have to buy this. I was looking at the September issue again, and noticed that Rita Konig has a list of London resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney- I so agree, and you make some good points. I tried to be a bit vague in case others want to blog about it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg- TONS of resources in the back of the book. You really should get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a bathroom large enough to fit a beautiful chest. Mirror, marble and mahogany make too pretty a combination--and those towels are so chic.

    I am really excited about perusing this one--glad to hear you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if this book was a regurgitation of every photo ever printed, or if it was a whole new thing. Nice to see it is a blend, and one that is inspiring and useful. I will add this title to my Christmas book wish list.

    Thanks for the great review! Terri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Millie- Me too! Definitely not enough room in my bathroom for a chest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terri- Some of the photos looked new to me. While a lot of them have been published in previous issues, it's nice that the pics are all in one book- no more having go to back through back issues!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not too sure about some of these.....I really don't like the retro look at all..........but mixing it will traditional helps .

    You always have something for everyone, Ms. Peak of Chic!!!

    BTW....love the gorgeous chest in the bath....that is soooooooo me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:07 PM

    Dang it Jennifer! I thought I was not going to buy anymore books for awhile. Are you on commission by Amazon? Ha! This is a great book because it shows you how to do wonders with adjusting one thing or doing something inexpensive to 'shake it up.' - Good Choice~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! Great blog minds travel along the same ways!
    I posted a review today too!
    I love the book without dust jacket - it's like a lovely text book.
    And all of the wonderful illustrations used as chapter openers by James Noel Smith (who I am covering in a later post) are also posted.
    As ever, loving your blog.
    xo xo
    PS Julie Neill sends her regards :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peak - I was shocked by how much I liked this book. didn't really expect to. but i really loved the bilhuber book - fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for a great tip!

    I am celebrating my 100th post tomorrow, please stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like I need to go buy a new book.

    p.s. I am starting a gift exchange for this holiday season and thought you might enjoy participating. You can get all the details at my blog, here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the preview- I still need to go out and purchase a copy for myself!

    ReplyDelete