Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Carolyne Roehm and her Passion for Blue and White




I just returned from San Francisco where I attended a lecture given by Carolyne Roehm. Held in conjunction with the San Francisco Antiques Show, the lecture, entitled "All Roads Lead to Roehm" (very clever!), was a celebration of all things blue and white, including her new book A Passion for Blue and White. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy, and I really think it might be one of my favorite Roehm books to date.

In both her lecture and the book, Roehm champions the versatility of this classic color combination. First, you have an array of shades with which to work- from icy blue to cornflower to navy and beyond. And blue and white also works well with other colors too such as pink, yellow, and red.

I believe that many of us think of blue and white as being casual, and it certainly can be. Really, what is chicer than a white blouse with a pair of blue jeans? But Roehm also makes the case for blue and white to be used in elegant and formal settings too. I suppose you can say that blue and white is like the perfect date- you can take it anywhere and it will fit in marvelously. No need to put lipstick on the pig! (Just kidding.)

I have to say that I admire Roehm's efforts at putting her passion into images and words. Roehm's love affair with blue and white began many years ago, and years later it is still going strong. While other colors might stir my passion more, I think I might be coming around to the whole blue and white thing.


Joe Nye New York will be hosting an afternoon tea in honor of Carolyne Roehm and her new book on Wednesday, November 5 at the Joe Nye New York showroom. To RSVP, contact Christina Juarez, tel 917-463-3685. Wish I could join you!



Blue and white can be laid back and informal


Or it can be quite grand and proper


Blue and white can be exuberant


And it's also quite breezy


And you know what? It looks quite smashing on a cake too.

(All images from A Passion for Blue & White, Carolyne Roehm, Broadway Books, 2008)

24 comments:

  1. I really like the pergola.

    Jennifer, I associate red with you so I'll be curious to see if more blue and white finds its way in to your chic home in the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney- You hit the nail on the head. Red is definitely my color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer - I checked on flights to see if I could swing this, but it happens to fall on my oldest son's birthday and I just can't miss that. I bet it was terrific to hear her speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get my copy! I know it will be wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is it about Blue and White that just ALWAYS looks chic??? Wonderful post.......I have always admired Carolyne Roehm's work and lucky girl YOU got to hear and see her in person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember when she made that line of dog accessories, way back when? I remember snapping up one of the red-leather leads at a discount store—it looked terribly snappy on my hound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia- I wish I could go too! I bet it will be a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ronda and Mimilee- I think you'll love this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aesthete- Wasn't that from her catalogue? I just loved that catalogue and still have a few pieces- some Mottahedeh, a cobalt blue glass vase, and some luggage. She even sold little plastic bags with blue flowers on them which were perfect for travel (cottonballs, etc.). I miss that catalogue. I bet your dog did look awfully snappy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gosh, i love carolyne roehm!

    once upon a time she described herself as a perennial student. that idea of being on a never-ending quest to learn about everything and everyone seemed to me a first-rate ambition!

    fantastic post : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. That grand poster bed~do you think it was originally a dark oppressive mahogany? And so too, the rest of the furniture? If so, it took nerve, and the result exhibits great flair. I am besotted with that room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice outing for you!
    CR has paid her dues, and deserves every bit of success her major talent nets her.
    I hope she does a book on every color combination!!!!
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paul- I love that! I want to be a perennial student too. I guess I am in someways, but I wish I had more time to pursue that endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Toby- At the lecture, she mentioned that this bed was a copy of an antique and was designed to fit the dimensions of her bedroom. She also mentioned that the indigo fabric faded quite quickly and that the blue is no longer as vibrant as it was when it was photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blue and white has been a long time favorite! I think this book may find it's way into my library this Christmas. And that cake! I wouldn't have realized without the caption! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting point about the faded blue fabric. In my early days, someone from Brunschwig & Fils told me that blue was the most fugitive of colours. Also, many of the antique textiles that we "read" as being green, were in fact once blue. So I guess that a passion for blue and white can have its downside, unless we compensate by using stronger blues to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Toby - I loved that room instantly too! Gosh, we should be friends!

    Peak - I just got my book today and am so excited to read it! as for your - since red is your color, why not bring blue and white in your decor via blue and white porcelains? that would be so beautiful - huge vases, urns, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joni- That's a good idea. Hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohh I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!! Carolyne will actually be signing copies at Privet House at some point in November!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ferret- Oh good, it's always great to have a signed copy! Plus, she seems very gracious too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi!
    Sorry to have missed you at the show.
    Did you see our stand, Therien & Co?
    Unfortunately we were working the show so we did not get to see the lecture. I enjoyed your post of this.
    Regards,
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  22. Philip- You better believe I saw your stand- amazing!!! So much so that I ended up going by your shop- I think I wanted everything! If you get a chance, please email me- jennifer@thepeakofchic.com.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous12:39 AM

    I know Ms. Roehm has her detractors, but you cannot argue with the beauty of this book. The photography is gorgeous and the color saturation is superb. Not to mention her eye for design and detail. This is a must-have for collectors of design books.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have sewn for Carolyne since she rebuilt Weatherstone. Her designs & fabric choices are always such a pleasure to work with & so tasteful!
    www.kristenskurtains.com

    ReplyDelete