Wednesday, October 29, 2008

An Architectural Alphabet




Remember how we all raved- for months- about Andrew Zega and Bernd Dams' Chinoiseries? Well, hold on to your hats because they are back with a new book that I think might be one of their best yet!

An Architectural Alphabet (Connaissance et Mémoires) is the new limited-edition artist's book that features the duo's watercolors of the alphabet. Each letter is featured in an architectural or garden related scene. In fact, a few lucky letters are painted against backdrops of Chinoiserie follies. How great is that?

The new book, with a forward by none other than Charlotte Moss (I told you this was good!), is hand-bound in silk, numbered, and slip-cased. Forget the jewelry, baubles, trinkets, and bibelots- this is what I want for Christmas. I better start writing Santa right now.

Cynthia Conigliaro and Will Rogers of Archivia Books and Catherine Cormery of Connaissance et Mémoires are hosting a book party where Zega and Dams' new book as well as some of their recent watercolors will be featured. The event takes place at Archivia Books on Thursday, November 20 from 6 until 8pm. To RSVP, call 212-570-9565.









19 comments:

  1. The "C" is charming and very Charlotte! What does the "J" look like?

    Right now someone, somewhere is designing a chinoiserie nursery around these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I must have this book! It really is stunning! What a fantastic gift it will make for all of the hard to buy people on the list. Thank you for a great post and for all the great ideas I get everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney- The "J" is at the top. I think I like some of the other letters more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie- Thank you for the comment! I think this would make a great and unique gift. I forgot to check the price though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - these are gorgeous!!
    Where did you find these other examples of the alphabet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:50 AM

    Whoa! These are fabulous!!....I think my favorite is the 'C'....of the ones you pictured. So Elegant! Yet they are whimsical too! The J is precious! I am in love with these! I would love to see the "L" for Lee.....What a great, great post today, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ferret and teaorwine- I know, aren't you dying??!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mimilee- I wonder what the "L" does look like?? I love the "E", and my middle name starts with E, so that might work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Wouldn't you love to frame each plate for a children's room?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Jennifer, these are really, really special. Seems we all have our favorite letters on our wish lists. Maybe we can chip in and use the whole alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh!! I just love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda- How great would that be! It might ensure your child grows up to be a stylish person ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patricia- Good idea! We can buy shares in one book :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Wonderful book. We have something similar in our line of products. Check out our blog at http://plumwich.blogspot.com/ or our website at www.jadesignstudio.net!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very gorgeous!!! hadn't seen this one yet, Peak. Did you hear that Saladino has a new one coming out - VILLA - can NOT wait!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:50 AM

    The book is $275.00 at Archivia Books in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:46 PM

    wow this blog has my muse swirling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:17 AM

    What a surprise! My husband and I were in a gallery in Paris in September where they were exhibiting and selling the originals of these alphabet prints-- a trex chic event with champagne, canapes, and the cobble-stone courtyard temporarily covered in sod.

    ReplyDelete