Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Not Your Garden Variety Accessories





I knew that Lunt was creating a line for the New York Botanical Garden, but I did not know how great the pieces were going to be. Most of the items are silver-plated, and many of them have a Chinoiserie theme- how apropos! More importantly though, many of the designs were inspired by drawings and prints found in the Rare Book Collection of the Garden's LuEsther T. Mertz Library.

And what's even better is that many of the items are quite affordable. So... what will you be buying?






The silver plated Garden Pagoda teapot and cream and sugar make me want to host a tea party. The inspiration for these pieces came from architectural designs found in William Halfpenny's 1752 publication "Rural Architecture in the Chinese Taste".


Feather Shot Glass and Cocktail Picks. Inspired by the feathers of a bird. And after seeing the shot glass, I think I'm liking flame-stitch again.


Pomegranate Paperweight, based on an illustration by Georg Dionysius Ehret in "Plantae Selectae" (1750-73).


Cocktail Shaker with a head of a Bahamian Titmouse, a bird documented by Mark Catesby in his legendary book "Natural History of the Carolinas, Florida, and the Bahama Islands" (1754).


Isn't this lacquer and silver plate tray beautiful? The garden design featured on the tray was drawn by Georges-Louis le Rouge in "Détail des Nouveaux Jardins à la mode" (1776).


And I had to include these Umbrella Cocktail Picks as they look a bit like my logo at top, don't you think? This particular umbrella design came from a drawing of a garden folly found in Charles Over's "Ornamental Architecture in the Gothic, Chinese and Modern Taste" (1758).

Image at top: A view of the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory at the New York Botanical Garden

15 comments:

  1. These are very, very happy-making. I'm definitely going to buy the Titmouse cocktail shaker for some bird-watching friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I was hunting for these when I first saw them mentioned to no avail. Thanks for the images - a delightful collection. And, yes, just like the pagoda charm from Charlotte, I think the cocktail picks must be yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aesthete- What a nice friend you are! That cocktail shaker is so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia- I kept checking for the products on the website and then forgot about them... until a few days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the teapots! They will make a great addition to my silver Wedgwood one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! So Peak of Chic. Those cocktail shakers especially are a must!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...I love them all, but the umbrella cocktail picks are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wowza, what gorgeous items. I so want those feather stirrers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm digging the pomegranate paperweight! It would look so chic on my shiny new parsons desk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you all like the line. Really, you can't go wrong with any of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never quite know what to do with cocktail picks. Olives for the Martini? Hors d'oeuvres? That said, the umbrellas are wonderful. And anyone who collected three of the feathers in as many of my cocktails couldn't possibly be labeled a coward....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was over the other day, got distracted and filed to comment....but I am back to say, I love it ALL! Especially the teapot and the umbrella cocktail picks. Just wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that cocktail shaker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pomergranite paperweight... ooh and the umbrella cocktail picks are delightful and of course the conservatory is GRAND!
    Love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful pieces for a chic garden ! My favorite is the pomegranate paperweight

    ReplyDelete