Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Gray and White Matter




I've got gray and white on the brain. It's everywhere lately! And what is more classic than this color combination? It can be crisp and tailored, cool and glamorous, or moody and mysterious. Think Dior's Paris salon, Mary McDonald's former bedroom, Charlotte Moss' Pagoda logo for The Townhouse, or a glam set from a 1930s movie. It's a fail-safe mix of color (or might that be non-color?) that is always chic.

(For information on Dior's glorious rue Royale apartment, see the article from the October issue of Elle Decor)



"Fioretti" wallpaper from Cole and Son- a perfect combination of gray, white, and a bit of black


Mary McDonald's bedroom (a perennial favorite) that was inspired by Dior's salon.


Gray and white vintage cabinet available at Coleen and Company


"Portobello", a grisaille handpainted wallcovering from Paul Montgomery Studio


"French Paisley" fabric in gray and white, from the Suzanne Rheinstein collection for Lee Jofa


20th c. Duchesse Brisée available at William Ockham

Image at top: This gallery in Château de Tanlay has walls painted with grisaille trompe l'oeil images. (Photo courtesy of World of Interiors)

17 comments:

  1. Gray and white always reminds me of Paris. It's a very sophisticated color combination that I feel most Americans, who flock to beige, should use more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Habitual- I agree- a very Parisian color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:54 AM

    In that last set (the chaise and chair), the upholstery looks downright modern. The solid gray is an effective way to use antique styles of furniture in a way that looks contemporary and not all granny-fied.

    -pt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:06 PM

    I love the quietness of gray, its chic modesty, its blameless appearance, its restraint, its elegance, whether fog or anthracite. Some people find it a sad color, but to me, it conjures the Brontë sisters, walks on the moors, romance tinged with melancholy. Oh, I could wax on forever about it. My favorite gray paint is Parma Gray by Farrow & Ball, a gray tinged with just a slight hint of lilac.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon- You should have written the post! I don't understand those who find gray depressing, although that's just a difference of opinion. Gray on its own is perfection, but from a practical standpoint too it goes marvelously with so many other colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Agree. It reminds me of how peaceful rainy days can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer - I have had a grisaille post in the back of my mind for a month. You captured it here - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer, as always, lovely examples. Sounds like you and the oh-so-eloquent Anon are kindred design spirits :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was just looking at that duchesse yesterday, i want one for my office

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:34 PM

    The grisaille panels are fantastic. Grisaille is one of my favorite uses of gray and or sepia. Thanks for posting the link, as I've been looking for a mural for our dining room in grisaille. Great topic. Gray is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All great comments. Wasn't it Christian Dior who said "Gray goes with everything?" Or something like "Gray was the color of the 17th century?"

    Our own dining room here in Bridgehampton has dark slate floors, white walls, a gray marble topped dining table, a gray 19th century wooden etagère filled with crystal and china (gray, cream white and gold) and gray plastic Bellini chairs. I must say it works well and is so peaceful with the big windows looking out on the garden....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that gray is so elegant and soothing. Great post, and I love the comments. I especially love HC's comments about how gray reminds her of Paris.

    Patricia Gray (no pun intended!) did a post on gray a few months ago, and there were some gorgeous pictures there too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All beautiful images. I love grey and white together, and I agree that its not depressing at all, its super chic and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jennifer these are all so beautiful! I timeless color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone has said it already for me...gray and white is timeless, elegant and Chic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every time I see that Mary McDonald bedroom I sigh - so, so beautiful!! Love your grey and white pics - I agree too, very chic and elegant!!
    XX
    Anna

    ReplyDelete