Monday, June 25, 2007

Miles Redd's Solution for Cramped Quarters




I recently came across "House Beautiful- Decorating Solutions for Small Spaces" at the bookstore, and what did I find inside? None other than the former apartment of Miles Redd. The 550 square foot apartment, located in the East Village, was absolutely tiny, and Miles was forced to create spaces that performed double duty. The bedroom, with its suspended bed, also served as a den; the living room acted as a dining room and office; and the bathtub was in the kitchen (covered with a slab of wood, it served as a cutting board). As you can see, the apartment is chocked full of objects, something which Miles said made his small space seem larger. And of course, his use of mirrors everywhere also helped the illusion that his home was more spacious than it really was. What I find most interesting, though, is how Miles' style has changed and matured over the years. Many of his treasures seen in this apartment now reside in Miles' more spacious, and more formal, townhouse. The seeds of his glamorous style are visible here, but what I think you see in his current home is a more mature and tightly edited version of it.



Half of the living room, with the other half below




The bedroom/den/library


The bathtub in the kitchen, and a view of the bedroom dresser

(All photos courtesy of House Beautiful Decorating Solutions for Small Spaces)

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos! I'm a big fan of Miles Redd's work too, but I had never seen these images of his previous apartment before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy- I never had either. I know the photo of the living room is on his site, but I'm not familiar with the other photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, as usual, thanks for the pics! And the book tip. I've not seen all these angles before. Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The amount of stuff here, while all good, gives me a bit of a twitch - but oh, how I love all that color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney- I had never seen this apartment b/f (except for that one pic on his site), so it was all new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KC- Yes, very different from the way he lives now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, love these images, esp. the first half of the living room! I will have to find this book to add to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miles Redd is such a creative designer...always finding new ways to use his wonderful "stuff"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:11 AM

    imagine the dusting! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recall this from ages ago - it's probably circa '95 or '96. Loved it then, still amazed at his maximalist yet endearing and personal approach to decorating. I was living in a dreadfully spare apartment in Philadelphia and this was either in Elle Decor or House Beautiful and it inspired me/reminded me that even cramped and cozy can be chic, swell, and oh so memorable. It is vintage Miles Redd!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For better or worse, I am cursed with an awfully good memory! Germans, elephants and me...we never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mark- You're too funny! I'm the same way, much to the chagrin of my husband ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love miles redd. i agree, with kc--so much stuff! but i do love his aesthetic

    ReplyDelete