Monday, April 16, 2007

Stencil Library




Not a month goes by in which one of the design magazines does not feature a home that has beautiful de Gournay or Gracie Chinoiserie wallpaper. Some homeowners are fortunate enough to be able to cover every wall in their room with it, while others settle for a framed panel or two. If this handpainted wallpaper is a little out of your design budget, then you may want to visit Stencil Library's website. This UK site sells all kinds of stencils, from neoclassical to geometric designs. Some of the stencils are perfect for borders, while others are a little larger and can be used to decorate an entire wall.

Recently, they added some fantastic Chinoiserie panel stencils that can be used to create your very own de Gournay-esque walls. There are 4 different panels that can be used together to create a seamless scene, or you can just purchase one panel and repeat that design over and over. The site also includes photos of the painted designs using metallic paints on different colored backgrounds. If this is a little too ambitious for you, there are also smaller Chinoiserie designs that you could use on a door, a piece of furniture, or anywhere else that could use a touch of Chinoiserie.



A graphic representation of the four panels when used together.


Stenciled panels painted with gold and silver metallic paint on a Chinese red wall.


Stenciled panels painted with silvers, blues, and irridescent purples on an eggplant colored wall.


For a different repeat pattern, here is the Willow Pattern


"Diamond Trellis" stencil

(All photos courtesy of Stencil Library)

16 comments:

  1. I love their site and I've been sorely tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink- You don't need it b/c you're talented enough to be able to paint those cherry blossoms in your entryway by freehand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! I've been looking for a blue willow stencil!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fairfax- Yay! Glad it was good timing. I've ordered from them before and they're quite reputable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I still have a pound account, so that makes it seem like lots less!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Fairfax, I think you're meant to buy that stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful resource! Thanks for sharing. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled upon your blog... I just adore it and your fabulous taste! Regards, Delaney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:14 AM

    love them! i used one of their stencils on a big unframed mirror i found on the street and it really worked out well! thanks for reminding me to order again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the kind comment Delaney! Glad you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frances- I kind of forgot about them too until I happened to go on their site the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd been planning to wrap a wall in grasscloth, but that willow pattern, painted in grayscale, has me rethinking that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donna Andrews1:51 PM

    Thank you for the information on chinoiserie panel stencils for walls. Your example (a graphic representation of the four panels when used together) caught my eye. Though I was not able to find it at the Stencil Library, I wondered it you remember where you saw it? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Donna Andrews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Donna, that image came from the Stencil Library's website in 2007. I wonder if perhaps they no longer carry these particular panel designs? Perhaps you could contact them to see if, by chance, they do still carry it. If they don't, I wonder if they might be willing to make one for you as a custom order??

      Best of luck!
      Jennifer

      Delete