Thursday, March 22, 2007

Winning Wallpaper





Pigtown*Design recently had an interesting post on her blog regarding wallpaper. She had been lucky enough to obtain some pieces of antique wallpaper and was curious how others felt about wallpaper. There are many who avoid wallpaper like the plague- the thought of messily having to take it down someday is just too much to bear. While there are certainly some pitfalls with using wallpaper, I have to admit that I adore it. I love all types of patterns and think that the right wallpaper can add so much flair to a room. That said, I've always felt that wallpaper needs to be used sparingly- perhaps in a foyer or a powder room. You certainly don't want to use clashing wallpapers in adjoining rooms- your house guests might just end up with motion sickness!

I was intrigued, however, by photos of an British Gothic revival school house that was featured in the current issue of British House and Garden. Every room is papered in a different print, but the effect is not at all jarring. In fact, I think the rooms are rather soothing. The house certainly exudes a rather eccentric British look, but perhaps it's a good example of not having too much of a good thing!







12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the nice mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Fairfax! I can't wait to hear what you decide to do with your antique wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS... The Washington Post's Home section has an article on wallpaper and three designers' take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fairfax- You beat me to the punch. I was going to post on your blog about the article. See, you're ahead of the curve on the wallpaper thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:56 PM

    love the bedroom with the trellis wallpaper!
    i once staple gunned wallpaper to a ceiling in a rental and it looked perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frances- I bet that looked great. I love a room in which the ceiling has been wallpapered- it's like a little jewel box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wallpaper, it can create warmth in a totally unique way. I have to admit though, I tend to lean towards the more subtle stuff, like grass cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the use of wallpaper, although I think it has to be used very carefully. It is definitely when the skills of an Interior Designer are useful!! (PS. Great blog..I am linking you to my site... )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your comment Maison Lunatique, and I really couldn't agree with you more. It definitely helps to have a trained eye assist with choosing wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark, interesting point. I too like grass cloth and other papers that have an interesting texture to them. I think subtle papers are necessary if you are displaying artwork, or if you have dramatic pieces of furniture. If you were to use a print in certain rooms it just might knock you over the head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:01 AM

    After hanging (and removing) wallpaper for almost 20 years I can share that taking wallpaper off is a breeze IF it is installed properly. That is, the wall is prepared correctly. Remember though, that older wallpapers weren't always meant to be removed (but layered, one over the last), and that the older pastes don't dissolve as easily as more modern formulas. Sometimes it's better to just go over the old stuff.
    BLC in CA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous- Thanks for this info. Hanging wallpaper can be a daunting task! And I agree about sometimes just going over old paper. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete